Our Choice Recommendation
- Keep your pool warm with a polypropylene heat collector. Direct Flow System - One Header Hole for Each Heating Tube
- Solar heater features 80 square feet of solar panels
- Pool accessory is perfect for heating any in-ground swimming pool
Are you thinking of installing a solar pool water heater?
Is this really a better choice than an electrical one?
What are some benefits of using a solar water heater for pool purposes?
Here are a few to keep in mind:
- Electric water heaters for swimming pools are very expensive to operate. When you have a solar heater instead, you can cut back drastically on the cost of heating your pool.
- Electric heaters take up a lot of space in your yard. However, most solar heaters can be mounted on the roof and don’t take up any room, making them efficient in more than one way.
- Electric heaters have more components that are capable of breaking than solar heaters do. Although you’ll still need to keep up with routine maintenance, you’re less likely to encounter problems with a solar heater.
When you run a swimming pool, keeping it heated can be an unexpected challenge. However, by using a solar water heater, you can take care of your pool’s heat without having to give it a second thought.
In this article, we’ll show you five of the best solar water heaters on the market for use with swimming pools. Take your time looking through this information to figure out which one is right for you and your pool setup.
Spirato PD-01206 Pool Solar Heater
The Spirato PD-01206 Pool Solar Heater is a roof-mounted solar heater that covers a space of 80 square feet. This option can keep the pool heated to about ten degrees Fahrenheit hotter than the temperature outside.
- This offer is a direct-floor water heater, which means it doesn’t require any additional pumps or other equipment in order for it to operate properly.
- The heater is powerful enough for use with large, in-ground swimming pools.
- Some customers have had trouble with this choice leaking as soon as it was installed, but this is not very common.
- In some instances, the heater has arrived missing the tie-downs required to install it properly, but this problem can be solved by contacting the manufacturer for replacements.
Smartpool S601P SunHeater Solar Heating System for Ground Pool
The Smartpool S601P SunHeater Solar Heating System for Ground Pool is capable of being mounted to the side of the pool or on the roof of your home, depending on the setup and needs of your backyard. This choice connects easily to the pool’s filter, no matter what type of filter you may have, and can be used with any pool up to 18×36 feet rectangular or 31 feet in diameter round.
- This system comes with two twenty-foot solar panels that are quick and easy to set up using the included instructions.
- The heater can bring up the temperature of your pool’s water up to ten degrees Fahrenheit higher than the temperature outside.
- This system requires a lot of direct sunlight in order to function, so it can be tough to find space for it in your backyard.
- The heater may develop leaks easily, especially when it’s kept mounted outside during colder weather.
SmartPool S240U Pool Solar Heaters
The SmartPool S240U Pool Solar Heaters system is designed for use with smaller above-ground swimming pools. This option is made of durable polypropylene and is built to last, and it comes with everything required to get it set up and running in no time. This system includes connectors and hoses that allow you to hook up this option to your pool’s existing filter and get started with it right away.
- The included panel is 4 feet by 20 feet, making it large enough to product heat for many sizes of swimming pools.
- This offer works well for above-ground pools and is nearly universal for use with many different brands and manufacturers.
- This choice may arrive damaged or leaking in some rare instances, although the manufacturer may be able to send a replacement if this occurs.
- This option doesn’t come with a mounting kit or much hardware, so you may need to pick up additional pieces in order to install it, depending on your pool’s existing setup.
Smartpool WWS421P Sunheater Solar Pool Heater
The Smartpool WWS421P Sunheater Solar Pool Heater is easy to set up and even easier to learn how to use quickly. This offer is large and powerful enough to handle most sizes of above-ground pools, but is small and compact enough to fit well into many yards.
- This solar panel does not require roof mounting, although it can be easily roof mounted if necessary.
- This choice is built to last and holds up well to regular use.
- This heater may not produce as much hot water as some of the others on the list.
- The heater is not powerful enough to handle most in-ground pools.
DIY Solar Pool Heater System Kit
This DIY Solar Pool Heater System Kit includes a set of four 4×12 solar panels to get your pool heater off to a great start. This option also includes all required hardware for connecting and mounting, so you won’t usually need to purchase anything extra to begin using it.
- This kit is very thorough and capable of handling a large in-ground swimming pool.
- The materials from which these panels are made can hold up well to plenty of regular use all year long.
- This offer is a very expensive kit and may be well over budget for many customers.
- The kit may be challenging to install for those who are inexperienced with solar panels or water heaters.
Did you find a good heater for your swimming pool? Choosing to use a solar heater is a great way to save money and make heating your pool even easier than ever before. But picking the right heater can take a little time and consideration. It’s important to choose one that can manage the volume of water your pool contains, as well as one that can run as continually as you need it to.
Of course, there may be other features and qualities you’re looking for in a heater, especially when trying to ensure it will work with your pool. How do you know a heater will work for your pool? What are some ways to check for compatibility?
- If the heater must be mounted to the side of your pool instead of on the roof, choose one that works with your pool’s shape and size. If you can’t find one that works like this, you may need to look at roof-mounted heaters instead.
- Check the manufacturer’s recommendation on any heater you’re considering to see if it works with the size and volume of your swimming pool. Some are only intended for use with above-ground or inflatable pools, while others can be used with in-ground pools.
- Pick a solar heater that you can assemble and install on your own if you choose to do so. Otherwise, pick one that can be installed by professionals in your area. If you’re unsure, reach out to the professionals first to ask for recommendations.
- Choose a heater that can be hooked up easily to the water supply for your pool. Understand that different pipes have different connector needs, and that some heaters that may be “near-universal” are still not completely universal.
- Finally, don’t forget to pick a heater that works for your budget! There are plenty of low-cost, budget-friendly water heaters on the market, but there are also high-end heaters that cost more.
Take your time considering the heaters available and bring home the right one for the job!
Last update on 2022-07-10 at 12:38 Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.