Our Choice Recommendation
- Solar-powered keyboard: No battery hassles—any light source keeps your keyboard charged for at least three months...
- Only 1/3-inch thick: Ultra-thin design adds sleek style to your workspace
- Familiar Mac layout: All the keys you're used to, plus a Launchpad hot key, are exactly where you expect them
What is a solar keyboard?
Do they include features not found on regular keyboards?
Or are they lacking some features instead?
Solar keyboards are any type of keyboard designed to charge using solar energy. Many of these keyboards also charge with energy from lightbulbs or other manmade light sources.
Solar keyboards work well for on-the-go computer needs in which you may have access to sunlight but not to a charger or outlet. They also work as replacement keyboards and provide an environmentally friendly solution for individuals concerned with the energy it takes to keep a keyboard powered.
These types of keyboards generally include built-in solar panels that are not traditionally found on regular keyboards. These solar panels usually sit along the top part of the keyboard frame.
When using a solar keyboard for either Windows or Mac, you may be surprised to find that the keyboard includes all of the shortcuts you’re used to using. These keyboards are designed for quick and easy use and don’t require much of a learning curve for most individuals.
In this article, we’ll show you three of the best solar-powered keyboards on the market. Take your time checking through these offers to help you find the one that’s best suited to your needs. And don’t forget, some of these keyboards only work with Windows or Mac!
Logitech K750 Wireless Solar Keyboard
Sometimes, you need a solar powered keyboard for your Windows computer. If you find yourself wishing you had a device like this, you’re in luck. The Logitech K750 Wireless Solar Keyboard provides plenty of unique and impressive solar capabilities for Windows computers. This keyboard features a surprisingly slim design and fits into most laptop bags with no trouble. This choice comes ready for use with Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, or 10 and features a standard Windows keyboard layout that will make it easier for you to start using it comfortably. This keyboard includes concave keycaps for quieter, more ergonomic typing.
- The keyboard comes with the dongle required to keep it connected to your laptop or desktop computer and prevent it from randomly disconnecting like some other, similar products.
- The keyboard charges quickly in any type of light, including halogen and LED lightbulbs, and doesn’t require direct sunlight to hold a charge for up to three months.
- The keyboard’s solar battery only lasts a couple of years and cannot be replaced, so anyone purchasing this keyboard as an eco-friendly decision is often sorely disappointed.
- Some keyboards have an issue which causes them to disconnect from the computer while the solar cells receive energy and only connect when they’re covered or darkened.
Logitech Solar Recharging Mac-Friendly Keyboard
If you’re looking for a good-quality solar keyboard for use with a Mac computer or some Apple devices, check out the Logitech Solar Recharging Mac-Friendly Keyboard. This keyboard comes in a clean silver and black color scheme with white keycaps to match most Mac devices. With the help of the solar panel on the top border of the keyboard, the device stays charged for up to three months, depending on how much you use it. The keyboard features durable keycaps with a concave design to make it easier to type comfortably and quietly, even after long stretches of use.
- This keyboard features a traditional Mac layout and makes it easy for regular Mac desktop and laptop uses to get familiar with it right out of the box.
- The keyboard features a very light and slim profile which fits nicely into most laptop bags, purses, or briefcases as needed.
- This keyboard doesn’t connect to computers via Bluetooth and instead requires an included dongle to remain in your computer’s USB port at all times while the keyboard is in use.
- It may take a little time to get this keyboard set up out of the box, especially if you’re using an older model Mac computer.
Macally Bluetooth Wireless Solar Keyboard for Mac
The Macally Bluetooth Wireless Solar Keyboard for Mac comes in either silver aluminum or space gray to match your Mac computer. This keyboard connects to the computer via Bluetooth and includes four spacious solar panels. These panels can use any light source to charge, and they don’t require use in the direct sunlight. Even LED or halogen lightbulbs can easily and quickly charge this device. The keyboard features an ergonomic design with a thin profile and a kickstand that allows you to set it up or lay it flat depending on your needs. Set up this keyboard in just a couple of minutes after charging and use it for several hours on a single charge.
- This keyboard includes 21 Apple shortcuts for use specifically with Mac computers to provide an even more convenient design overall.
- The keyboard features island-style keycaps to make it easier to perform touch controls and type for longer periods of time without straining your hands or feeling discomfort.
- Although this keyboard is designed for use with Macs, some customers have had trouble keeping it connected to laptops, especially when working with older computer models.
- The keyboard goes to sleep very quickly, even when you’re still using your computer, and needs to be woken up every time this happens before you can use it for typing again.
Were you able to find a good solar powered keyboard for your needs? Many of these choices offer similar features, but they still vary in their functions and abilities. Take your time considering these choices to find a good fit for your needs. Whichever keyboard you choose from the list above, you’re sure to bring home a good-quality item that will hold up to years of use.
But are you really even interested in a solar keyboard? Do you need one at all? How do you know if a keyboard like this is right for you?
If you don’t spend much time sitting in light (either sunlight or indoor lighting), then a solar keyboard may not be for you. And of course, if you don’t spend much time typing on a regular basis, you may not need one!
However, for the most part, these types of keyboards provide a lot of capabilities in a small and lightweight package. They can help you stay connected while you’re on the go and can make it easier for you to use your computer, too.
Who might benefit from this type of keyboard? Many times, campers purchase these keyboards for use on short camping trips. RVers might enjoy using these keyboards with regular access to direct sunlight, too.
Solar keyboards also work well in bright, direct indoor lighting. For this reason, they aren’t limited only to outdoorsy types who spend a lot of time in the sun! These keyboards work nicely for students, people who work at home, and anyone who spends a lot of time typing. They feature ergonomic designs and quiet keystrokes that make typing easier, and they provide plenty of power to keep you working and playing for weeks to come.
No matter what your purposes might be, try out a solar keyboard the next time you need a typing solution. You’ll be glad you did!
Last update on 2022-07-10 at 12:38 Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.