Our Choice Recommendation
- The sun`s energy charges the fencer by day and a sealed 12-volt rechargeable battery powers the fencer at night....
- Low impedance for maximum power, longer life
- Charges up to 30 miles of fence – 3.1+ joules
What is a solar fence charger?
How does it work?
What are some situations in which this type of product is beneficial?
A solar fence charger is a charging device used for electric fences. It is designed to mount onto the fence post and hook into the electric fence, providing a constant charge and keeping the fence running at all times with the help of solar energy.
These devices include built-in solar panels and often come with lightning deterrents as well. They are available in a wide variety of sizes and styles, but they all work by harnessing solar energy and channeling it through a battery and to your electric fence.
These chargers are beneficial in any situation in which you need to operate an electric fence but don’t have access to electrical power to keep it going.
They also help individuals who want to run their farms, gardens, or yards off the grid or by using as much clean energy as possible.
Below, you’ll find five of our top favorite solar fence chargers. Take your time and check them all out to find the right fit for your needs.
Gallagher S10 Solar Electric Fence Charger
The Gallagher S10 Solar Electric Fence Charger makes it easy to charge electric fences in places without access to electrical power. The charger can be used to cover up to a three-mile perimeter and keep your electric fence going strong. Thanks to its convenient design, it stores power for up to 3 weeks at a time for periods of bad weather.
- This device is ready to use right out of the box and mounts easily to any existing post that faces the sun.
- This choice is durable and rugged, and it continues to work well even when outdoors during rain, wind, snow, and more.
- This option doesn’t come with very clear directions and can be confusing to install.
- It may be difficult to reach the company’s customer service with any questions or concerns about this charger.
Fi-Shock ESP2M-FS Solar-Powered Electric Fence Charger
The Fi-Shock ESP2M-FS Solar-Powered Electric Fence Charger works for up to a two-mile perimeter and provides enough coverage to protect a small part of your yard or farm. This offer can run for two weeks on stored energy even in times when the sun isn’t available, and it’s built to last when exposed to the elements, too.
- This fence charger is designed to reduce its own battery consumption and keep itself running stronger for longer.
- This choice hangs easily on a fence post or anywhere else you need to mount it in order to get enough sunlight to operate.
- Many customers have trouble with this option no longer working after about a year of use.
- This option may sometimes not provide enough power to prevent animals from entering or exiting the fenced part of the yard, and it may therefore not do its job when it can’t absorb enough power to do so.
Zareba ESP10M-Z Solar Electric Fence Charger
The Zareba ESP10M-Z Solar Electric Fence Charger is designed to cover a considerable amount of land. This offer works for areas of up to 10 miles in perimeter and is best used in agricultural applications where livestock need to be protected. The charger includes a built-in solar panel that quickly and efficiently absorbs solar energy and uses it to power the electric fence.
- This choice comes with everything you need to mount it right out of the box and get started using it in no time.
- This option is designed to withstand lightning damage.
- This offer may stop working within a few months depending on how often it’s used and how much of a charge load it maintains.
- Some customers have issues with insects getting into the charger and causing damage to the inner components.
Solar Fence Charger 12 Volt
The Solar Fence Charger 12 Volt covers up to 100 acres of fencing depending on your needs. This choice works with an attached 12-volt battery (not included) and features a design that prevents overuse of the battery when it isn’t needed. This option can store energy and use it at times when the sun isn’t available to keep your animals protected behind their fence on rainy, cloudy, and snowy days too.
- This offer mounts easily and comes with everything you need to get it set up and ready to use right out of the box other than the 12-volt battery.
- The charger offers plenty of power and covers a lot more distance than many of the others on this list.
- Some larger animals may be able to push through the electric fence when it is powered by this charger.
- Although this offer states it features a 2-joule output, many customers feel it doesn’t quite meet this expectation even when set up and running properly.
Parmak Magnum Solar-Pak Electric Fence Charger
The Parmak Magnum Solar-Pak Electric Fence Cover is built to provide as much power on a charge as possible without draining the battery too much over time. The charger is both portable and weather-resistant, and it holds up well to outdoor use. It’s designed to mount easily to your fence posts and be directed toward the most sunlight possible.
- The charger gathers solar energy by day and uses it to keep the fence up and running all night long.
- This choice maintains a perimeter of up to 30 miles.
- It can be very challenging to reach customer service with questions or concerns about this choice.
- Many customers report this option wearing out after just a few months.
Did you find a good solar fence charger to keep your animals inside (and pesky critters outside)? With the right fence charger, you can keep your electric fence going at all times without having to worry about finding a way to power it with electricity.
But how do you know which fence to pick? There are a lot of options, and it can be tricky to narrow them down. Here are a few tips to keep in mind that can help you choose the best solar fence charger for your needs:
- Carefully measure the space you need to cover. Choose a fence charger that can handle the perimeter or amount of acreage you’re working with.
- Go with a fence charger that includes a backup 12-volt battery to handle charging overnight. Otherwise, pick one that stores and uses energy when the sun isn’t out.
- Choose a fence charger that can hold up well to outdoor use. The longer the better!
- Go with a charger that includes some method of negating lightning strikes or preventing them from causing damage. This can be challenging to find in a low-cost fence charger, but the option is out there.
- Finally, pick a charger with enough power to keep your animals where they need to be, regardless of their size. If you have large bulls, for example, you may need a more powerful fence charger than you would use for goats.
With these suggestions in mind, you should be able to choose the right fence charger and get it set up in just a short amount of time.
Last update on 2022-07-11 at 04:42 Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.